So you've been in an accident,
what should you do next?
- Move the vehicle out of the traveled roadway.
- Turn off the ignitions of the vehicles involved.
- Make a first aid check of all persons involved.
- Call the police by dialing 911.
- Mark the scene of the accident with flares or retro-reflective triangles.
- Remove objects from the roadway.
- Gather the names of all the persons in the vehicles and any witnesses.
- Fill out the form provided on this page (print one for your glovebox), gathering all information possible, including driver license number of other driver and insurance company.
- Exchange insurance company information.
- Get a copy of the police report of the accident from the local precinct.